"Despite a poorly lit location, I walked in with my gear and felt completely confident. The client is THRILLED with the images, and I am on cloud nine! There is SO much freedom in knowing how to create the light I want in any setting!"
"When it came to lighting education, I just couldn't find what I needed on YouTube. Now since taking Artificial Academy, I can make all kinds of beautiful photos!"
Tell us about yourself
- Total payment
- 1xArtificial Academy$0-+
All prices in USD
"I haven't found anything like this course before. I was always so confused about artificial light, how to use it, what equipment to get, and how to make it look as good as my natural photos. Joanie covers all that and more."
- Who is this course for?Anyone who is looking to start using artificial light into their food photography. Food bloggers, commercial photographers, and product photographers make up the majority of members in the course.
- Who is this course not for?Experienced photographers who are already using artificial lighting. Though some benefit can be gleaned, it's probably not enough to be worth the time and financial investment as the lessons are geared toward those who are just starting out with artificial light.
- Are there any prerequisites?Yep! You will need to understand how to operate a camera in manual mode in order to get the most out of the course. If you need to learn manual, check out this video playlist on YouTube. https://resources.thebiteshot.com/learn-manual-mode
- How much of a time commitment is required for this course?The total course includes 34 instructional videos, all approximately 8 - 20 minutes in length. However, the core of the course is less than two hours. Lots of people complete this first section in one day and start implementing what they learned right away.
- Do you ever offer discounts?We never run sales or promotions, so don't hold out for a discount. The price may go up in the future, but it won't go down. We do offer a monthly payment plan option for those on a budget!
- Do I need to purchase artificial lighting gear before starting the course?It's totally up to you. Some people can't wait to get their gear and want to buy it right away. Others prefer to wait until they've watched through the first units in the course so they feel more confident in their gear purchases. Regardless of when you get your gear, as a member of the course we'll provide consultation to help you decide what gear will best serve your unique needs.
- Is it only for food photographers or can other photographers benefit?The content is created specifically with food photography in mind and all demonstrations are relevant to the experience of a commercial or editorial food photographer.
- Is it only for US students or does the material apply internationally?This course (and our community) have people from all over the globe!
- How long can I access the course materials?You have lifetime access to all course materials, videos and the online community. Plus, you also will receive any future updates and additions to the course for your one-time purchase.
- What if I need help or have questions?We're here to help! In addition to being able to post questions in the community Activity Feed inside the course (not a Facebook group) where I personally answer questions, you're invited to attend Open Office Hours with me, an opportunity to chat in real time over Zoom. Times and dates vary in order to accommodate different time zones.
- Is there a money-back guarantee?You bet! If for any reason you find that this course will not enable you to learn artificial lighting for food photography, notify me within 30 days of purchase for a full refund.
- What topics does the course cover?We aim to be thorough! You'll find gear overviews for every type of artificial light, and how to set them up for the first time. There are also modules that cover key topics like selecting the right gear, what to use for camera settings, positioning your lights, combining lights, modifying the look and color of light, lighting for beverages/products/video/action shots, and understanding tools like the histogram. There are also plenty of demos showing the types of lighting setups and considerations for going on location like in restaurants and bars!